Tag Archives: USA

UDS-P Day 3

UDS-P Day 3

The week is flying by and it’s been great to meet new people  I’m really trying to make an effort to sit with new people at breakfast so I can talk about new topics where possible and I do think it’s important to mix it up and meet new people.

I do like having the continuity of having the Community round table sessions each morning and we’re getting some topics discussed that don’t necessarily need a full session, or we are taking the time to plan future sessions later in the week which does help make them more productive.  We have spent a long time discussing the Community Survey results and looking at the feedback which was sent which is worth reading and also to note that this was the Ubuntu members thoughts on the project who are currently active and replied.

The next session for me was talking to Ubuntu attendees and seeing how they are doing and learning what they are planning for the coming cycle which is interesting for me as I’m probably not going to attend a Server or a start up boot session so me talking to them so hall session for me which is good as it’s nice to put the face to the name that I’m interacting with via bugs or on IRC. Today I met Curtis Horvey from the Launchpad team about a bug I’m having issues with and he and I and Mat Revell were able to bouce ideas off one another and possibly come up with a plan B.

Next sit down session for me was the LoCo Team Portal (LTP ) formally the LoCo Directory(LD), was a really  a what you want to see in the LTP that can be possibly developed given the current shortage of developers. Some ideas that were thrown out were replacing Google Maps with OSM, creating a page of where to send people so they can get started on development as the lads are doing a great job but clearly if people want more features but we don’t have enough folks helping them, so if you’re a Python developer please come and help, join #ubuntu-website and volunteer.

The Design and Community round table has been one of my favorite sessions so far.  As far as I can see the design team have a bad name which in my opinion is really unjust.  People really need to realise that design != unity there is a lot more work they do.  I really appreciated them reaching out and wanting to listen to the feedback from community people. So kudos to them!  They have a fantastic detailed blog covering lots of different ideas on their blog and it’s really worth reading.  One great thing that came from that session was creating a channel and mailing list that better describes the design team, so instead of Ayatana you would have ubuntu-design or ubuntu-design-discuss on mailing list and getting the message across that Ayatana is not just unity but there is the design team there.

Reducing Community Bickering is session that came about as a result of the Ubuntu Community Survey (here) began with discussing how to deal with the demotivating nonconstructive criticism on blogs. Me personally while I find the blog comments bad, I find the mailing lists worse from high up people in the Ubuntu community, I find that far more demotivating and frustrating.  When is a good time to step in and diffuse the situation as sometimes coming in too soon can not help also depending on steps in will or won’t resolve issues.

Penelope Stowe is doing a great job with the a11y team and it’s interesting to learn the difficulties people face when simple changes happen or how one new feature can really break a system when a11y issues are not considered.  The Accessibility Team are doing a great job and if you want to join in and help, they’d love people to help with packaging if you can.

Final session for the day was the Leadership Team Session, which I mostly went to sit in but did find extremely frustating, annoying and in the end I ended up having to bite my tongue as I felt I wasn’t being listened to. Which is not a good way to start.  I was under the impression it wasn’t a team more of a focus group, now it seems really formal, not really including the actual governing bodies, and most of the documentation is now on a Google doc being sent off to a locoteam to write, when surely if locoteams issues are being written would it not make more sense to ask the loco council to write that as they deal with it 24/7. My only saving grace is I’m not the only one in the boat who is thinking this way from the session and feeling frustrated.  google documents are great but not what we use in the community use to collaborate on, I wish it was coming from the councils down first.  Also calling it a team in itself was not what I thought it was all about so now they are talking about changing the name. who knows we shall see and keep following the progress of it all.

UDS-N Day 1

UDS-N Day 1

After a non evenful journey over to Orlando from Ireland and meeting up with some folks Sunday night in the bar which was great as I got to put the faces to the IRC nicks.  Sleep was had!… Monday kicked off with chatting with folks over breakfast then we headed down to the Keynote.  Which was kicked off by Jono covering some of the stuff that will be happening this week. Did you know…….This is the 14th release…

The idea of Ubuntu Developer Summit if you’re not sure what it’s all about just yet is “Getting face time together is really important”  it helps us to get to know one another, puts the faces to the names/nicks which will help folks become more productive for the coming cycle.
There track  have been re organised to get more cross-pollination:

* Application Developers

* Package Selection and System Defaults

* Performance

* Multimedia

* ununtu the project

* hardware compatibility

* cloud infrastructure

If you are trying to following the sessions and want to keep track of the documents, have  a look at the new documentation path for sessions:  session proceedings.  Goto https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDSProceedings/N

We’re all on Gobby JOIN US!!!!! Use gobby-0.5 to match the server version at http://gobby.ubuntu.com  or get it from the Ubuntu Software Center.
Mark Shuttleworth then kicked off the next half of the keynote this morning talking about how well Maverick went and the plans for the future.  There was a lot of new code in Maverick, on a shorter-than-usual schedule.
This was also the  first release with a full Linaro cycle,  it’s an attempt to create a forum for important upstream development work (in arm) and it’s a genuine move to create a common base. they are here UDS-N this time so if you want to talk to them or join their sessions do!
Key focuses for Natty:
* File Management. “Files and folders is completely broken.”  We’re going to bring nautilus back onto the desktop.   Also putting file manager on the launcher.
* From the developer point of view, lowering the barrier to participation.   We should make it trivial for anyone to fix anything anywhere in the platform.   Make merge proposal easy. Software center took a huge leap forward as well…
* Drivers and performance are the #1 issue.   GL drivers, 3D on netbook for windows management, etc.
After the Keynote the sessions kicked off, now with the renaming that has been done I personally find them odd in trying to figure out which areas to go in, I know the reason is for more cross pollination but some of the sessions are very broad.  Kicking off the day was a roundtable for Ubuntu the project.  Nice way to plan the week and cover some topics that may not need a session and just bounce some ideas off one another. An advantage of these sessions if you find a topic that comes up and it needs more discussion we can create on on Summit. Some of the topics that came up that we’re going to be looking further this week were:
Governance Cruft (jcastro)

  • not acting within the spirit of the community
  • blockers for getting things done ????? Infrastructe / IS talking to canonical
  • Canonical and Ubuntu community (mdz)
  • Getting people vived up and on board
  • Improving diversity at UDS
  • Helping teams work together
  • Finding the right person to help you - be great to have someone to know to go to talk to

What I came up with was an idea to work on Wiki clean up information moved to askubuntu.com and we’re going to have a session on this on Wednesday morning!

Next for me was Development Training events -
Events:
- Ubuntu Developer Week – Twice a year
- Packaging Training (initially once a week)
- MOTU Q&A

Feedback:
- Logs useful
- problematic when it gets closer to release, people busy at sprints, etc.
- homework? (model answer, simple merges, simple bugs)
- add “preparation notes”, things to use beforehand

Reach out:
- loco-contacts list, beginners list, womens list, ubuntu-user list, planet
- make more use of forums
- facebook group

Getting more people to run sessions:
- build confidence, encourage people
- when people explain something, get them to run a session

More sessions:
- Adhoc Sessions (come with your problem and a developer will help you sort it out)
- Get questions from the Packaging forums
- Rotate responsibility among teams
- Investigate “Beginner’s Programming Challenge”

I popped my head into the Developer Advocacy session.  Firstly to figure out what this session was about, we need to work out …Who is our audience? Developers new to Ubuntu? People new to development in general

Common use cases:
* “I know some stuff, I want to help Ubuntu — how do I start?”
* “I am a l33t programmer, how can I get my software packaged?”
* Ubuntu Development Beginnings wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Development/Devbeginnings
On this wiki, cover/link to things like:
- How to join Launchpad
- How to create SSH & GPG keys
* Quickly has work-in-progress to automate this
- How to get source
- How to submit a patch
* how to push back to launchpad
* How to use Launchpad to propose merging
- Putting these steps together to fix a bug (ie. link to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToFix), build, test, submit bug fix
- How to use Quickly
- How to install Eclipse (and other IDEs)
Introduction material:
- basically just “how to fix a bug”
- packages
- source & binary
- archive?
- command line
- editing text files
How to reach out:
- put introductory text on ubuntu.com/developer
- help people get the source and instructions (menu item?, applet?, link in launchpad bug?)
- presentation material for loco sessions
- identify overlap between ubuntu developers and loco people
So what I took away from this session is that I now have an action item – czajkowski to set up a frontdesk for loco + developer interaction
All in All it was a fantastic day and was topped off by a Pizza night event put on by the host LoCo Florida! It’s been great to meet and chat to folks and plan a week of working on loco council stuff while I’m here and can work hands on with people with issues.
If you have any LoCo Community thoughts or ideas give me a shout!

Working my way through my to do list

Working my way through my to do list

I sat down on one of the quiet evenings this week and went through all of the Gobby documents from UDS and marked off where I had items actioned to me and made a list. Now I’m checking it twice and going to start working through things and crossing them off or adding to them if I need more detail. ( I like lists)

LoCo Directory – Event Feature
* ”’OBJECTIVE”’: Implement an event handing feature.
* ”’SUCCESS CRITERIA”’: LoCo teams can add events to be displayed on their LoCo directory page and view event information.
* ”’ACTIONS”’:
* Ability to add an event with the following attributes:
* Event type (Jam, Presentation, Tutorial, Release Party, Installfest, Other)
* Time
* Location
* Description
* Name
* Events are visible on LoCo pages and a master list of events.

While I don’t have anything assigned to this I am following this as I worked on this last May at UDS Karmic and this week I’m seeing more developments in the progress of this. With LoCos getting involved asking how they can help.  I think this kind of feature would help more LoCos organise their events and keep track of them for approval and for re approval if they can see what has been organised at a glance.

The reason behind this feature is, it’s very hard to keep track of attendance, I can say 8 people came and it could have been 12 or 6, if the feature of replying and adding your name to it, like you do for attending UDS then you can see who came to the event.  It’s also a way of see all LoCo events across the board on the one directory.

Ubuntu NGO

ACTIONs:
- Liaising with NGOs: – I’m working on finding more NGOs for Interviews, and also this week I’ve had people mail me saying they are doing some with their Local NGOs and will mail me the interviews, so we can get these back up and running.
• document painpoints, transform into papercuts: file as bug reports, tag with ‘ngo’ (laura) -  Worked on this during the week and sent mail to the NGO mailing list.
Advocacy (need leader for this role) - I’ve added my name to this since UDS as has Penelope Stowe
-  list of existing foundations, other organisations that already work with NGOs
- list of conferences that NGOs attend specific to gathering technical assistance
- talk to docs team about help.ubuntu.com export (and other loco documentation) (Laura talk to Jim Campbell, Milo Casagrande) – Need to start on this
- talk to Server team about PHP packaging  ( laura to go talk to ask) – this is going to come under paper jams

Ubuntu Women

* ”’OBJECTIVE”’: Clarify the purpose of the #ubuntu-women channel.
* ”’SUCCESS CRITERIA”’: A set of channel guidelines clearly communicated to #ubuntu-women participants.
* ”’ACTIONS”’:
* Discuss a set of guidelines for general discussion channel about the Ubuntu Women project (Laura Czajkowski). – This will be taken to the mailing list due to time constraints from meeting held on the 8th December followed by another meeting.
* Document the agreed set of guidelines (Laura Czajkowski). – Going to work on a draft so we can work against something to discuss, as no point in just waffling without having somewhere as a base line to work from.
* Communicate guidelines outwards (Jono Bacon, Amber Graner, Laura Czajkowski). – Can only do this when the above is done

* ”’OBJECTIVE”’: Appoint a leader of the Ubuntu Women team, complete with codified expectations around the role. – Well this was discussed at the Ubuntu women meeting held. And we’ve come up with a process.
* ”’SUCCESS CRITERIA”’: A delegated leader in place for a set term length, complete with documented expectations around the role.
* ”’ACTIONS”’:
* Documenting expectations of the role (Amber / Laura). – This has been done on the wiki and with input in from the team during the meeting.

LoCo Council

I was elected to the LoCo Council, and during UDS I said I’d look into drafting a document with outlining the re approval process. Working on that today, once I read some of the email archives  as this is all new to me.

So the above is keeping me very quiet and busy at the moment, but loving it all the same!